The Projects button that can be accessed from the My Company Information & Settings section is the starting place for all global options for the Workflow and Due Date Management System called Projects. Within the screen there are five tabs that control various functions.
Project Options tab includes options that affect the function of projects as a whole.
- Require Receive Date on Project Creation will make it so a project can’t be created in the system unless you mark the project received with a date. Most offices will not want to use this especially when you have projects reoccurring as you will need to create projects ahead of when you will be receiving them.
- Post first assignment when project is received will make it so whenever a project is marked as received it will prompt the first assignment to be created at that time. An assignment is the individual step that will be assigned to a staff to alert them to work on part of this project. At first glance this option may seem appealing however most offices will not select this option.
- Mark project received with the first assignment will automatically mark the project received in the background, as the project is being assigned. This is the typical option to be selected as it allows for part of the process to happen automatically.
- Require Locations will require whenever an assignment is created to be tagged with a location. Locations are created by you and can be customized to your liking. While this is not commonly used, if you are having trouble keeping track of physical files, this may be a good option to implement.
- Require Budget Hours will make it so you can proceed through an assignment with having a budget for time populated in.
- Always Select First Budget Match
- Prompt when WIP exists affects the process of rolling a project over as it will alert you to the fact there is unbilled WIP still associated to the project being completed and makes sure you still want to complete the project. It is simply an alert and does not require that the time be billed before the project is completed.
- Copy budget information to new project also affects rolling a project forward. This option is asking if/how you would like to roll a budget forward to the next project.
- Original Budget as apparent by the description will roll the budget forward based on the originally populated budget excluding any changes.
- Original + Adjusted Budget will take any adjusted budget totals first and then refer to the original if no changes have been made.
- Actual time will create the budget for the next project based on the time that was ACTUALLY tracked for the previous project.
- Copy project notes to new project ALLOWS notes to be rolled forwarded. If this box is not checked notes will not be able to reoccur. If this box is checked the reoccur box will be selected for notes by default but can be turned off.
- Copy Missing Information to new project will take any items populated into the Missing Information grid on the Projects tab and roll those items forward to the next project as missing items.
- Project numbers are not applicable in most cases but can be designated to begin on a specific number if necessary.
- Default Priority controls how important projects are labeled by default. Please note this is a global setting that controls ALL projects. The priority can be controlled on a project by project basis.
- Project Billing means you are going to invoice that project on its invoice and are going to account for all time associated to that project only on that invoice. If you decide to bill this way, you can specify which projects you will invoice this way using the button that says “Choose Projects That Use Project Billing”. This will automatically mark the time cards associated to that project with a “P” billing code for project billing.
- What is a Project?
- Creating a Project Definition
- What is an Assignment?
- Creating an Assignment Group
- Moving a Project through its Workflow
- Project Interface
- Creating Projects for Clients
- Features of the Activity List